What is Gastroscopy?
Gastroscopy is a procedure to examine esophagus, stomach and duodenum (which is upper part of the small bowel), to confirm or rule out present medical conditions, such as gastritis, peptic ulcers and other medical . During the procedure, a flexible telescope called a gastroscope is inserted from mouth to conduct the screening and examination and also may carried out minor procedure as necessary, such as:
- Taking a small tissue sample (biopsy) for further examination and diagnosis,
- To stopping bleeding from an ulcer
- To remove polyps.
Gastroscopy may be done for examination of the following symptoms:
- Chronic or recurring heartburn, nausea or vomiting
- Nausea over a longer period of time
- Stomach pain
- Trouble swallowing
- Black stool or blood in your stool
- Weight loss for no apparent reason
- Suspected peptic ulcer
- Suspected cancer of the esophagus or stomach
- A check-up after stomach surgery
Preparation for Gastroscope
- Before the procedure, your doctor will explain about the procedure and any possible risks associated with.
- You will usually be asked not to eat or drink for 6 hours before gastroscopy.
- Tell your doctor before the procedure:
- If you are allergic to any drug or substance
- About your regular medication whether to stop or not, such as if you are taking blood thinning medication, etc.
- If you have heart valve disease, and any other underlying medical conditions,
- If you have a pacemaker.
Before the Procedure
- The staff will inform and assist to change the dress for preparation.
- False teeth (Dentures) will be needed to remove before the procedure.
- You will be asked to lie flat, usually on your left side.
- Spray to anesthetized (to numb) your mouth and throat.
- A small mouth guard will be put between your teeth to stop you from biting the endoscope and to protect your teeth.
- You may be given a sedative injection through a vein in the arm before the procedure. (You may discuss with the doctor if you prefer to go through with or without sedation for the gastroscope procedure.)
During the Procedure
- Your doctor will gently insert the gastroscope through your mouth and into the esophagus, stomach and duodenum (upper part of the small bowel.) for screening, examination and evaluation to confirm or rule out present medical conditions and perform minor procedures as necessary such as biopsy, etc.
- The test usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Any discomfort at the back of the throat is minimized by using the throat spray and sedative injection, and is helped by calm deep gentle breathing during the test.
After the Procedure
- After the procedure, the patient will be observed for recovery under the nurse care.
- Once the patient is fully recovered, especially from sedation, only then will be allowed to go.
- We do recommend the patients to be accompanied by friends or relatives, especially if the patient will undertake sedative procedure.
Cost of Gastroscopy
Package price: 9500 Thai Baht (Includes: doctor fees, endoscope fees, OR room, etc)
Package exclude: Additional procedures arise from complication, medicine, biopsy, etc.
Appointment and Inquires: