About Mission Hospital
Mission Hospital is a 110-bed general hospital in the heart of Bangkok, Thailand. Mission Hospital was founded in 1937 and today serves Thai and international communities. The hospital is owned and operated by the Christian Medical Foundation of Seventh-Day Adventists and it is part of the worldwide Adventist Healthcare network. Mission Hospital offers state of the art diagnostic, therapeutic and emergency facilities.
Mission Hospital has served patients from over 60 countries world-wide. English and other language speaking staff are available to assist our international customers. Our Medical coordination office schedules appointmens, procedures and translators for our customer’ needs.
Mission Hospital is proud to be one of the first private hospitals in Thailand to receive Hospital Accreditation (HA) Re-Accreditation approval.
Our mission is to achieve international quality healthcare through teamwork of Professionals with passion to serve.
Our vision is to reflect God’s love through healing, sharing and loving care.
Mission Hospital Milestones
- Mission Hospital was established: May 10, 1937
- Our School of Nursing opened in 1941.
- The grand opening of Mission Hospital, then known as The Bangkok Sanitarium and Hospital was on March 18, 1951.
- The School of Medical Technology was launched in 1951
- Dental department was opened in 1957.
Mission Hospital is proud to be one of the first few private hospitals in Thailand to receive Hospital Accreditation (HA). The HA program is a program for quality improvement for both public and private hospitals in Thailand. The fundamentals of this program are patient focus, organizational and multi-disciplinary teamwork and continuous self-assessment and improvement.
The HA program began in 1994 out of the need for a more comprehensive hospital standard. Hospital standards for the US, Canada, Australia and UK were reviewed and the Thai hospital standard was drafted in 1996. Thirty-five hospitals from both private and public sectors joined the HA pilot program in order to create model hospitals, fine tune standards, strengthen the initial team of surveyors, and promote better understanding of the program by the public and healthcare professionals.
In 1999, HA-Thailand conducted its first survey on 4 hospitals. The survey process was a combination of the Canadian and the US style. The rating method was based on the European Quality Award. Nine general standards were used – mission and vision, organization, manpower management, education and training, policies and procedures, environment of care, instruments, systems and processes and continuous quality improvement activities and results.
The HA-Thailand program, has maintained a high standard. By 2002, fewer than 10 private of 470 private hospitals had received HA accreditation. Mission Hospital is honored in the top five hospitals to receive this accreditation.
The HA standards continue to evolve and improve, following the trends in the United States. In 2004, patient safety became a top priority. Hospitals now focus on patient identification, a high-risk medication alert system, correct surgical site, infusion pumps, medical and drug abbreviations, and prevention of hospital-acquired infections.
Mission Hospital first began as Bangkok Mission Clinic, opened in a rented shophouse at 56 Maitrichitr Road near Plabplachai intersection, on May 10, 1937 with funds contributed by a philanthropist sea captain, Thomas Hall. Dr. Ralph Waddell and his wife Ellen, Nai Pleng Vitiamyalaksna, and Pastor Kon Vui-leong directed the development of the original 12-bed hospital with an outpatient department into a 50-bed hospital.
As the medical work in Bangkok grew, expanded facilities were needed. In the pre war period, a large house, about a mile from the original clinic was leased and remodeled to provide an additional 30 beds and became known as the Annex. This increased the hospital's capacity to 80 beds and made possible the opening of a school of nursing in May 1941 under the direction of Miss Ruth Munroe.
World War II and After
During World War II, the Annex closed and the missionaries left the country, but the clinic continued to operate under the direction of Nai Pleng, a medical assistant, and a Romanian physician, Dr. S. Bene. With the cessation of hostilities, the overseas staff returned to Thailand. On December 25, 1946, the former Annex and surrounding buildings, occupying a six-acre tract of land at the corner of Pitsanuloke and Lan Luang Roads, was purchased for the development of the Bangkok Sanitarium and Hospital. The former Annex, remodeled again, became the initial building of the Bangkok Sanitarium and Hospital. Another building was converted into quarters for the school of nursing which was reopened on July 1, 1946. Thirty-three students of the first post-war class were capped on October 30, 1947. Some of these have been the pillars of the medical work in Thailand.
Expansion to the Countryside: Medical activities of the Bangkok Sanitarium & Hospital were extended into the provinces of Thailand in 1949, when the institution sponsored the opening of mission clinics in Ubol, Phuket and Haad Yai, under Drs. J. E. Sandness, F. N. Crider, and R. C. Gregory, respectively. The hospitals in both Haad Yai and Ubol have since been closed.
Bangkok Sanitarium & Hospital
On August 3, 1949, the corner stone of the new Bangkok Sanitarium and Hospital building was laid. A joint church-community financial campaign provided funds for a modern four-storey hospital building which was officially opened by L. Pibulsonggram, Thailand's premier, on March 18, 1951. During the ensuing years the clinic was departmentalized and the number of staff members increased accordingly.
Midwifery and School of Nursing
On July 4, 1955, the wife of the premier officially opened the new building for the school of midwifery. Miss Gertrude Green, an American midwife, directed the development of the obstetrical clinic, which served the poor and also provided clinical experience for midwifery students. Miss Green retired in 1980 and finally returned to USA in 1992 after a total of 51 years of service, 43 of them at Bangkok Adventist Hospital.
In mid 1958 a much needed addition to the Sanitarium building increased the total bed capacity. During the same year, H. H. Queen Sirikit of Thailand opened a modern three-storey concrete building for the school of nursing in which there was dormitory space for 120 student nurses, administrative offices, a library and classrooms. This program has subsequently been developed into a degree program offering a BS in Nursing over a period of four years. A new administrative building for the nursing training program was opened in 1989 and the administrative section of the original building along with the library and classrooms were transferred to this new building. Training schools for medical and x-ray technology, anesthesia, and midwifery were conducted at that time but have since been discontinued program.
The name Bangkok Adventist Hospital was officially adopted in 1973. In 1983, a new wing was opened to expand much needed outpatient clinics, operating room and patient room facilities. This wing was called the Ralph Waddell Wing. In 1987, marking the 50th anniversary of the hospital, the Pleng Vitiamalaksna building was opened to provide beds for obstetrics and pediatrics and to house a new food and bakery service along with much needed car parking spaces.
Mission Health Promotion Center
In 1990, on land purchased some years before, a Lifestyle Center called Mission Health Promotion Center capable of housing 60 people, was opened in the hamlet of Muak Lek in the Province of Saraburi.
The hospital currently has 410 employees and about 90 medical staff. Besides admitting and treating patients in the hospital, Bangkok Adventist Hospital also runs a Mobile Clinic which is equipped with an x-ray unit. This is also used for charitable medical outreach of the hospital.
Mission Hospital is owned and operated by the Christian Medical Foundation of Seventh-Day Adventists. Mission Hospital is part of the world wide Adventist healthcare network with over 690 healthcare and medical centers.
- Member of Non-profit Private Hospitals, Thailand
- Member of Private Hospital Association of Thailand
- Mission Hospital is part of worldwide Adventist healthcare network of over 690 healthcare and medical centers
Our Mission - "Preparing people for Jesus' soon return"
Our Vision - "The life of Jesus in the heart of everyone"
- Daily walk with Jesus
- Trust in God
- Living the golden rule
- Morning Worship
- Week of Prayer
- Visiting Patients
- Teaching Bible
- Weekly church and study sessions
- Chaplain visits to patients
|Computer Support||2 Positions|
|Officials Finance||1 Position|
|Official medical record||1 Position|
|Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification|
|Assistant Nurse Position||5 Positions|
|Restaurant cashier position||1 Position|
|Not limited to education|
|Employees serving||1 Position|
|Employees Bakery||1 Position|
|Housekeeping Staff||1 Position|
|Officials Transport||1 Position|
|Employees wash||1 Position|
Benefits & Allowance
- Public holidays: 13 days/ year
- Annual Vacation: 11 days/ year
- Salary increases annually and bonuses
- Special Medical Benefit OPD and IPD care
- Medical care benefit: Father, Mother, Spouse, Children
- Free flu vaccination
- Free annual health check-up
- Dormitories for the nurses 350 baht/ month
- Employee uniform THB 1,500/ year
- Glasses 75 % reimbursement up to 3,000 baht per 2 years
- Social Security
- 25% discount for lunch
- Retirement saving
- Free fitness center
- Discounts for Adventist health center
Office hour: Monday to Friday, 08.00-14.30 pm
Interest application please contact to:
Human Resource Department, Mission Hospital
Tel: 0 2282 1100 Ext. 517, 513
Fax: 0 2628 1852