About Mission Hospital

DSC 0112 resize

Mission Hospital is a general hospital in the heart of Bangkok, Thailand. Mission Hospital was founded in 1937 and today it serves the local Thai and international communities with a registered capacity of 110 beds. The hospital is owned and operated by the Christian Medical Foundation of Seventh-Day Adventists and it is part of the worldwide Adventist Healthcare network. Mission Hospital offers state-of-Art diagnostic, therapeutic and emergency facilities.

Mission Hospital serves the international patients from over 60 countries around the world. English speaking staffs are readily available to assist the international customer. The Medical coordination office provides doctors, nurses, and interpreters who serve the needs of the international patients.

Mission Hospital is proud to be one of the first private hospitals in Thailand to receive Hospital Accreditation (HA) Re-Accreditation approval.

7 11

 

BANGKOK ADVENTIST HOSPITAL, widely known among the Thai people as MISSION HOSPITAL, is a general hospital with registered capacity of 186 beds and 24 bassinets. Situated at 430 Pitsanuloke Road, Bangkok, it is owned and operated by the Christian Medical Foundation of Seventh-Day Adventists. The hospital is part of worldwide Adventist healthcare network.

Bangkok Mission Clinic

The present institution is an outgrowth of the Bangkok Mission Clinic, opened in a rented shophouse at 56 Maitrichitr Road near Plabplachai intersection, on May 10, 1937 with funds contributed by a philanthropist sea captain, Thomas Hall. Dr. Ralph Waddell and his wife Ellen, Nai Pleng Vitiamyalaksna, and Pastor Kon Vui-leong directed the development of the original 12-bed hospital with an outpatient department into a 50-bed clinic.

As the medical work in Bangkok grew, expanded facilities were needed. In the pre war period, a large house, about a mile from the original clinic was leased and remodeled to provide additional 30 beds and became known as the Annex. This increased the hospital's capacity to 80 beds and made possible the opening of a school of nursing in May 1941 under the direction of Miss Ruth Munroe.

World War II and After

When World War II spread to Southeast Asia, the Annex was closed and the missionaries left the country, but the clinic continued to operate under the direction of Nai Pleng, a medical assistant, and a Romanian physician, Dr. S. Bene. With the cessation of hostilities, the overseas staff returned to Thailand. On December 25, 1946, the former Annex and surrounding buildings, occupying a six-acre tract of land at the corner of Pitsanuloke and Lan Luang Roads, was purchased for the development of the Bangkok Sanitarium & Hospital. The former Annex, remodeled again, became the initial building of the Bangkok Sanitarium & Hospital. Another building was converted into quarters for the school of nursing which was reopened on July 1, 1946. Thirty-three students of the first post-war class were capped on October 30, 1947. Some of these have been the pillars of the medical work in Thailand.

Expansion to the Countryside: Medical activities of the Bangkok Sanitarium & Hospital were extended into the provinces of Thailand in 1949, when the institution sponsored the opening of mission clinics in Ubol, Phuket and Haad Yai, under Drs. J. E. Sandness, F. N. Crider, and R. C. Gregory, respectively. The hospitals in both Haad Yai and Ubol have since been closed.

14 resize 15 resize

 

Bangkok Sanitarium & Hospital

On August 3, 1949, the corner stone of the new Bangkok Sanitarium & Hospital building was laid. A joint church-community financial campaign provided funds for a modern four-storey hospital building which was officially opened by L. Pibulsonggram, Thailand's premier, on March 18, 1951. During the ensuing years the clinic was departmentalized and the number of staff members increased accordingly.

Midwifery and School of Nursing

On July 4, 1955, the wife of the premier officially opened the new building for the school of midwifery. Miss Gertrude Green, an American midwife, directed the development of the obstetrical clinic, which served the poor and also provided clinical experience for midwifery students. Miss Green retired in 1980 and finally returned to USA in 1992 after a total of 51 years of service, 43 of them at Bangkok Adventist Hospital.

In mid 1958 a much needed addition to the Sanitarium building increased the total bed capacity to 180. And that same year, H. H. Queen Sirikit of Thailand opened a modern three-storey concrete building for the school of nursing in which there was dormitory space for 120 student nurses, administrative offices, library and classrooms. This program has subsequently been developed into a degree program offering a BS in Nursing over a period of four years. A new administrative building for the nursing training program was opened in 1989 and the administrative section of the original building along with the library and classrooms were transferred to this new building. Training schools for medical and x-ray technology, anesthesia, and midwifery were conducted at that time but are currently defunct. Midwifery has been absorbed by the College program and training in x-ray and laboratory are currently run by government and some other private universities.

New Name

The name Bangkok Adventist Hospital was officially adopted in 1973. In 1983, a new wing was opened to expand much needed outpatient clinics, operating room and patient room facilities. This wing was called the Ralph Waddell Wing. In 1987, marking the 50th anniversary of the hospital, the Pleng Vitiamalaksna building was opened to provide beds for Obstetric and Pediatrics and to house a new Food and Bakery service along with much needed car parking spaces.

6 crop 17 resize

 

Mission Health Promotion Center

In 1990, on land purchased some years before, a Lifestyle Center called Mission Health Promotion Center capable of housing 60 people, was opened in the hamlet of Muak Lek in the Province of Saraburi.

Clinical Activity

The hospital currently has 410 employees and about 90 medical staff. Besides admitting and treating patients in the hospital, Bangkok Adventist Hospital also runs a Mobile Clinic which is equipped with x-ray unit. This is also used for charitable medical outreach of the hospital.

Milestones

  • Mission Hospital was established on: May 10, 1937
  • The School of Nursing opened in 1941.
  • Grand opening of "The Bangkok Sanitarium and Hospital" on: March 18, 1951.
  • The School of Medical Technology was launched in 1951
  • Dental department was opened in late 1957

16 resize

Ownership

Mission Hospital is owned and operated by the Christian Medical Foundation of Seventh-Day Adventist. Mission Hospital is part of the world wide Adventist healthcare network of over 690 healthcare and medical centers.

Membership

  • Member of Non-profit Private Hospital, Thailand
  • Member of Private Hospital Association of Thailand
  • Mission Hospital is part of worldwide Adventist healthcare network of over 690 healthcare and medical centers

DSC 0153 resize

Mission Hospital's Milestones

  • Mission Hospital was established on: May 10, 1937
  • The School of Nursing opened in 1941.
  • Grand opening of "The Bangkok Sanitarium and Hospital" on: March 18, 1951.
  • The School of Medical Technology was launched in 1951
  • Dental department was opened in late 1957

Our Mission is

"To reflect God's love through healing, sharing and loving care".

Ownership

Mission Hospital is owned and operated by the Christian Medical Foundation of Seventh-Day Adventist. Mission Hospital is part of the world wide Adventist healthcare network of over 690 healthcare and medical centers.

DSC 0497 resize

Accreditation

Mission Hospital received Hospital Accreditation (Re-Accreditation) Thailand recognition since 2001.

Inpatient Facilities

  • 186 Licensed Inpatient Beds and 109 in operation
  • Over 120 physicians
  • Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
  • Step Down Care Unit
  • Intensive Care Isolation Unit
  • Labour Room
  • Nursery
  • Male / Female Wards
  • Semi Private rooms
  • Private rooms
  • Private Deluxe rooms
  • VIP rooms
  • Suites

Facilities: Air-condition, Refrigerator, Telephone, TV, DVD, Kitchenette

Outpatient Facilities

  • 17 complete consultation and examination rooms
  • 24 hour Ambulance Service
  • Emergency Department 24 hours
  • Capacity :500-1000 OPD patients per day
  • Outpatient Surgery Center

DSC 0693 resize

Outpatient Clinics & Centers

  • Acupuncture Clinic
  • Allergy Clinic
  • Breast Clinic
  • Cancer Clinic
  • Cosmetic Surgery Center
  • Dental Center
  • Dermatology Center
  • Diagnostic & Therapeutic Center
  • Dialysis Center
  • Eye center
  • ENT Center
  • Endocrinology/Diabetes
  • Emergency Center
  • Gastrointestinal Clinic
  • Golden Age Clinic
  • Heart Clinic
  • Hematology Clinic
  • Hypertension Clinic
  • Internal Medicine Clinic
  • International Travel Wellness Clinic
  • Infectious Disease Clinic
  • Medical Clinic and specialties
  • Muscle, Nerve & Bone Clinic
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Neurology Clinic
  • Nephrology Clinic
  • Orthopedic Center
  • OB & GYN (Women Center)
  • Pediatric Center
  • Psychiatry Clinic
  • Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy
  • Surgery Center
  • Spine Center
  • Urology Clinic
  • Wellness Center

Special Facilities

Onsite Laboratory:

  • Hematology
  • Biochemistry
  • Bacteriology / Microbiology
  • Histopathology
  • Immunology
  • Parasitology
  • Serology
  • Operating Theaters
  • Sleep lab
  • Exercise Stress Testing
  • EKG
  • Pulmonary Function Testing
  • Hearing Test
  • Audiography
  • Dialysis
  • Hydro Therapy

Imaging Center:

  • X-Ray
  • Spiral CT scanner
  • Ultrasound
  • Fluoroscopy
  • Mammography
  • Densitometry
  • Echocardiogram

Quality & Certification

  • One of the FIRST private hospitals awarded Thailand Hospital Accreditation.
  • 2001: Certificate of The External Quality Assessment Scheme in Clinic Chemistry Certifying Bangkok Adventist Hospital Laboratory by Faculty of Medical Technology, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand.
  • 2001: Certificate of Participation of Beckman Coulter Interlaboratory Quality Assurance Program by IQPA.
  • 2001: Certificate of Calibration: Instrument- Coulter Model STKS by S-CAL Calibrator.
  • 2002: World No Tobacco Day by World Health Organization.
  • 2011: Top Service of the year award by Ayuthaya Alliance CP (AACP)
  • 2011: Best Practice Award by Institute for Small and Median Enterprises Development

DSC 9898p resize

Membership

  • Member of Non-profit Private Hospital, Thailand
  • Member of Private Hospital Association of Thailand
  • Mission Hospital is part of worldwide Adventist healthcare network of over 690 healthcare and medical centers

Social Responsibility to the Community

Mission Hospital is part of world wide Adventist healthcare network over 690 healthcare and medical centers. Established in 1937, it is operated by Christian Medical Foundation of Seventh-day Adventist and is dedicated to providing healthcare to the Thai and international communities. The Christian Medical Foundation is actively involved in medical out reach to the Thai community by providing free health checkups and other services.